For first time visitors to Argot Editing, who have not used a proofreader/editor before,
here are just a few reasons why you should be using the services of a reliable and pedantic editor - such as myself - to double-check your work, and why you will never achieve 100%
perfection relying solely on your computer's spell and grammar checker:
- The computer's spell checker does not recognise an incorrect spelling of a noun. Eg. I live in Pool/Poole
- It does not pick up on all the homophones. Eg. Can I lie down? or Can I lay down?
(Just in case you're wondering - people lie down - in the present tense)
- It does not advise you that a semicolon could have been used instead of a comma
For more reasons why you should be using my services, please continue to read on and find out how I can proofread and edit your documents to be
professional, precise, and ready for publication.
Below is a list of projects I could assist with ...
Audits and ledgers
Sales order forms
Press, Media releases
Letters of compliment
Letters of complaint, etc
Proofreading, editing, and formatting of Kindle ebooks.
Checking all the following ...
- Homophones, homonyms, etc.
- Grammar (verb tenses, pronoun use)
- Punctuation (em and en dashes, missing or unnecessary commas, etc)
- Dangling modifiers
- Missing capital letters
- Transpose muddled words
- Correcting ambiguities
- Checking tables
- Lists (numbered)
- Repeated or omitted words
- Legally-safe and politically correct
- Table of contents and index
Checking all the items in level 1 and ...
- Style editing (following recommended style guide for consistency)
- Correlation editing (crosschecking data)
- Times, dates
- Gender neutrality
- Writing style (ensuring copy is written for target audience using correct language and voice
Checking all terms in level 1 and 2 plus ...
- Vaguenessable of contents
- Restructuring, light re-writing
- Decrease your word count, (or increase it)
- Reach intended audience
- Citations, references, and plagiarism
If you are unsure of what level your work fits into, please contact me for further guidance.
I can use any of the following media for correcting your document:
- On paper, using traditional proofreading symbols
- Using Microsoft Word - Track changes, or OpenOffice
- With Microsoft Excel or Powerpoint
- Adobe Reader
Unless otherwise advised, I will be working with:
- the Guardian Style Guide
- Collins dictionary
- Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA) – for legal documents
- Acorn Technical Publications Style Guide and RISC OS Style Guide – for the computer industries software and hardware
Please advise on your
publisher's/company's preferred style guide.
A style guide can be extremely helpful for many different reasons: new employees use it to find out what size the logo should be when sending out emails, letters, etc. It
can also create consistency with words choices, such as organise or organize. Google, Bing, Apple, etc, use their own style guides for their business needs. If you have not
put one in place for your business, email me and I can give you some ideas on how to set up your own, and what to
To ensure your project receives the best attention, it would be helpful if you could provide me with a good indication of specific style, voice, and jargon to be used. This will help to
ensure it is written in the best way possible for your readers.
How fees may be charged:
- Per 1,000 words
- Per hour/per day
- Per printed page
- An agreed flat fee
- A whole project
The quote you will receive from me would have been agreed with you based on the size of your project, the format, medium, nature of the material, requested turn-around time, and the level of
intervention required. I will require a sample of the text before offering a quote, to ensure it is priced accordingly. The table above should give you an approximate idea of the level of
IMPORTANT PAYMENT INFORMATION
For students and individuals, a 25% deposit is required (which is non-refundable if cancelled with less than one week notice. The balance should be paid on the date of delivery by bank
transfer or PayPal.
For organisations, a deposit is not generally required. Payment of the invoice is required within 30 days.
As requirements vary so widely I will quote and give an estimated time-scale for every job individually.
For smaller jobs, if I am contacted before midday, I can do same day delivery but would require a 50% additional cost. For next day delivery, a 25% additional cost. Work will commence as soon
as the agreed price is received by bank transfer or PayPal.
Please use the enquiry form below for
an approximate quote.
Or you can email me at email@example.com if you need more guidance or have any enquiries. Or you can
send me a sample of your work with a brief explanation of the type of proofreading/editing work you require.
Please "Like" Argot Editing on Facebook, and as a big thank you from me, you will receive 15% off the cost of your next job. Not on Facebook? Maybe you could write a review
for Argot Editing on my testimonial page, and as a thank you, you'll receive a 10% discount!
Your form message has been successfully sent.
You have entered the following data:
Please correct your input in the following fields:
Error while sending the form. Please try again later.
Please note: I will ensure that I will do my best to eliminate all the original errors in your document, following the guidelines as agreed upon
Please note: It is your responsibility to check the documents and accept or reject my proposed revisions and suggestions made via track changes or as discussed.
(Depending on type of media used).
I cannot be held responsible for any proofreading issues that may emerge as a result of subsequent amending to your text. i.e. after you have applied further changes
Any further amendments you wish me to make to your document will constitute a new job and will be charged accordingly.
Terms & Conditions
The contract of service requires that the Client and I (Jo Alexander at Argot Editing) both acknowledge in writing that we have read, understood and agreed to these
terms and conditions.
These terms and conditions ensure that the Client (you) and Jo Alexander at Argot Editing (I) have an upfront and honest understanding of the working process. Agreed
in writing prior to the commencement of work.
Terms & conditions (T&Cs).
- These terms and conditions apply to work done on behalf of the Client (you) by me (Jo Alexander at Argot Editing).
- The Client is under no obligation to offer Jo Alexander work; neither is Jo Alexander under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- Jo Alexander will provide service(s) as mutually agreed and confirmed in writing by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by Jo Alexander, using her own equipment.
- The work will be carried out by me. I will not subcontract proofreading/editing/photo editing projects to third parties.
- I confirm that I am self-employed and responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's
- I am not VAT-registered.
- The Client will pay Jo Alexander/Argot Editing on receipt of invoice, by bank transfer or PayPal, and as mutually agreed, based on one of the following methods:
- a fee per hour
- per printed page
- per 1000 words
- an agreed flat fee for the job, according to prior arrangement
- Completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both
supplied by the Client and agreed by Jo Alexander.
- If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in
the preliminary discussion/brief, Jo Alexander may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if during the term of Jo Alexander’s work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, Jo Alexander may renegotiate the fee and/or the
- If the project is lengthy, Jo Alexander may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Any content created by Jo Alexander as part of the copy editing/proofreading/project management process will become the copyright of the Client unless
- The nature and the content of the work will remain confidential. Jo Alexander will not share details of your work/business with anyone, without prior
- If you find the standard of work to be unsatisfactory, Jo Alexander will rectify it in her own time and at her own expense.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, I will supply the client with an invoice immediately upon return of completed proofreading/editing project. Payment
will be made within 30 days of receipt of Jo Alexander/Argot's invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work during the proofreading/editing stage and the job is over halfway complete, I reserve the right to invoice for
full price. If the job is under halfway complete, I reserve the right to invoice for 50% of the agreed fee.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and Jo Alexander may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either
may view the other's records to ensure that they are relevant, correct, and up to date.
- Either the Client or Jo Alexander has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales [or Scots or Northern Ireland law, as appropriate], and both Jo Alexander and the Client agree to submit to
the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh [or Scots or Northern Ireland] courts.